Wednesday, April 30, 2008

We press on...

Thank you to all who left comments, emailed and phoned us to let us know you are praying and to those who gave us some advice and insight to the whole school situation. We really appreciate it!

We are going to find out Nicolai's rights. We have talked with the school about supervised recess and lunch time with classmates again. It sounds like that might happen. (Which sounds silly to me, because it's suppose to already be supervised, but who am I?!) I was feeling like this whole thing was becoming one-sided. We found out that more requests were made, but were turned down saying that we (Joel, Nicolai and I) have been over-the-top, cooperating and have complied with all that the school has already asked of us. Unfortunately we heard from the school that the other couple were going to be seeking legal counsel.

Please pray for this girl and her parents. We don't know them or know anything about them. I pray that if they don't yet know Jesus, that they would come to know Him. That God would bring peace to their lives and they would be able to bask in His love.

Along with your prayers and support, God's love is really what has carried me through this trying time. Unfortunately it sounds like it's not over. Continue to pray for guidance, discernment, strength and understanding.

As Joel and I have been praying over all of this, I have taken from it what I believe to be God's way of opening our eyes to the needs of our son and schooling. Don't misunderstand me - we are not running from this. We are committed to resolving this matter regardless if Nicolai continues at this school or not. We will be looking at other schooling options to find out what might be a better fit for Nicolai. Nicolai has struggled socially for the past three years in school and it doesn't seem to be improving. We need to look at his needs and helping him improve not drag him down. To remind you, Nicolai has an IQ of "severe intelligence". That sounds so contradictory to me. The only way that I can wrap my brain around it, is that he is only eight points away from being considered a genius. So he's a smart cookie, he just struggles socially. So this incident has wakened me up and given me the boost to get off my lazy butt and start looking at other options for our son. Public school in the neighborhood is convenient and he was learning, but is it the right fit? Don't get me wrong, we have had plenty of good as well, not to mention that he enjoys the social interaction that he has gotten. We will continue to pray for God's discernment on what or where we should go. If He wants us to stay, we pray that Nicolai is not "plagued" by this incident for the rest of his school career.

Thank you again - we have got tons of phone calling and Internet research to be doin'!

5 comments:

Jane said...

Oh Lori, I wish I could tell you how heavy my heart has been for you guys. I pray for God's guidance in your decisions for Nico's future. He will honor your our prayers because He loves Nico more than you or Joel... seek Him first.

I'm also praying for the little girl's family. I pray that the parents don't drag their daughter down a path that could "plague" her either.

hugs to my SS!

Jane said...

for the record... I have TWO blankies on the the day bed...one electric at that! And I do NOT have footed pjs!

the cold spell is due to be over as of this morning....Hope so, my garden is freezing too.

- e - said...

Hey Ms. Lori! (= Just wanted to tell you we are praying for wisdom and peace for this situation. God's love always prevails!! We love you all.

Jamie said...

Lori,

You've been on my heart since yesterday. I have found myself frustrated over the whole situation with your sweet son.

I don't know you at all. And only having found your blog yesterday, we don't even have a blogging "relationship".

But here goes...

I am planning on home schooling my children. When I was teaching in the classroom and heard of home schooling, I shuddered. I could think of many reasons why it was not the best choice. But God has opened my eyes and heart to this idea. I've already spoken to women who say "I'd love to, but I know I just can't do it."

My answer to that is, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

Just thought I'd throw that idea out to you since you are beginning your research and googling:o)

Prayers!

Heidi said...

Hey- I've been thinking a lot about you lately. I wanted you to know I'm praying for you guys. Every time I think about it, it makes me mad!! I can only imagine what you are going through. I hope you can find another schooling option for him that better fits his needs!!

Praise the Father, Praise the Son!

 Happy Easter 2023! Hope you and your families have been having a good Sunday.  Holidays for me have always been anxiety filled. From having...