Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Showers of Blessings!!



On Saturday, friends from my church gave Sonja and I a baby shower! It was amazing! Several friends and family members showed up. Kathy, the friend who opened her home for the event, had taken out all of her dolls and "girly" things and decorated her house up! So sweet!!

Nico was sad, he didn't understand why Sonja had to leave with Mommy and Grandma to go somewhere else and get wet for two hours!! He's so funny and missed his sweet sister dearly!!

I was blown away by the overwhelming excitement and love that all have shown us over Sonja's adoption! We, of course, think that it is an enormous celebration and exciting event! It has been a true blessing to be the recipient of every one's love!

Sonja received so much and so many things that she will definitely make use of. We are so grateful!

Then.......



My very good friend, Brenda, gave me a whole huge container of Lumpia. YUM-O!! I have made these with her and they are A LOT of work!! Brenda has been making these for me for approximately the last four years or so. She makes them about once a year and is so kind and generous to always give me a good portion of them! Because they take alot of work, I'm accepting them as a shower, birthday, Easter, St. Patrick's Day, Fourth of July, Labor and Memorial Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas present!!

What is Lumpia, you ask?

[LOOM-pee-ah] Hailing from the Philippines and Indonesia, the lumpia is a version of the egg roll and consists of a lumpia wrapper (a thin "skin" made of flour or cornstarch, eggs and water) wrapped around a filling and fried. Sometimes a lettuce leaf is used to enfold the filling mixture, in which case lumpia is not fried. The filling can be made of chopped raw or cooked vegetables, meat, shrimp or a combination. Lumpia are typically served as a snack or appetizer.

My sister-in law, Elizabeth brought this traditional snack to our family. I have been enjoying Lumpia for the past 15 years! There was a bit of a break from it when Liza and her husband moved away (too far to send it to us) until I met Brenda!!

I don't use it as an appetizer though, I usually make a meal out of it. Lumpia, rice, broccoli and sweet and sour sauce!! YUM-O!! I also ration it out, so that I don't have to wait so long from year to year! I look forward to the day that Brenda "passes on" the tradition to me. Showing me, once again, how to make it and this time, the recipe!! LUMPIA OR NO LUMPIA ~ I love Brenda, she's a sweet heart! Thank you very much for ALL of your hard work and staying up late to supply me with one of my indulgences!! You made my year!!

And pictures of my sweet Sonja, who has been without her brother this week! Nico is enjoying his time with "Grandma and Grandpa Lake Six", who live on a lake up North called....yup - Lake Six!!!





9 comments:

Miss Carrie said...

How special. You and Sonja deserve it. She is so beautiful!

Maxine said...

So, so special. What a cutie pie! Showers are a sweet show of love and I'm so glad you had the chance to enjoy it with the baby there! I have been enjoying your pictures so much and so has my fourteen year old daughter. Keep them coming.

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

Looks like you had a great shower. She is so adorable.

Natalie said...

It sounds like you had a great time at the shower!

Nico's comments are too cute!

Jenny and Matt said...

Presents are nice, it's true, but isn't it a great feeling just to know your family and friends love you and support you? We were really moved (and slightly overwhelmed) at our shower. Glad you had such a nice day.

Crystal said...

oooh Lori--Sonja is just so beautiful!!!! Isn't it amazing the sincerity and thoughtfulness of people!!! I am so happy for you about your shower!!! How sweet!!! I am loving Nico's comments too!!! I think he and Caleb would have a lot of fun dressing up in their superhero costumes!!! :o)

Alleen said...

Awesome day!!! She's just gorgeous!!

I used to know some people that made Lumpia. OMGOSH!!! YUMMMMMM!

margaret said...

Sorry I missed the shower... I was at scrap camp. Sounds like it was lots of fun!

Kerry said...

Looks like she cleaned up!

Praise the Father, Praise the Son!

 Happy Easter 2023! Hope you and your families have been having a good Sunday.  Holidays for me have always been anxiety filled. From having...