Saturday, August 30, 2008

Up and Away we finally went...

We got up at 4:30 AM this morning and headed to Stillwater to attempt the hot air balloon flight again. It happened...we took off and it was soooooooo beautiful!! The wind was perfect, the ride was absolutely breath taking! I wish ya'll could of been there! We lifted off of the ground approximately 7am and saw the sun rising as we lifted.

Here are some pictures of our amazing adventure...

Joel helping the crew blow up the balloon.




The top of the balloon.


Raising up the balloon.




The other balloon. This is a complete private balloon ride. Two people and the pilot.


Coliding with the other balloon on take-off.






Stillwater overlooking St. Croix.


St. Croix River.




Reflection of our balloon in the river.


Ripples and dripping of water from our balloon. The pilot "dipped" our basket into the river. I wasn't too thrilled about that! It was a weird feeling being in a balloon and sitting on top of the water.




The other balloon touching down to the water.


In-flight photo


Minneapolis Skyline




One of the people out of about three who ran out of their house to catch a picture of the balloon. We were so close, we could talk with them. Crazy!!


Getting ready to land...looking for a place to do so.


Safely landed and packing up


We found a road to land on and ended up in the ditch a little ways. The crew then "bounces" you back to the road or flat place to lay down the balloon. We climb out of the basket one at a time and then the balloon gets laid down and packed up.




The compartments of the basket. One couple per compartment on the four outside corners and the pilot was in the center.


We headed back to the apple orchard and had a traditional champaign toast. We received a certificate indicating that we had taken the balloon ride. They then gave us a t-shirt that says, I flew over the St. Croix in a Hot Air Balloon.

What a fabulous time! Thank you Honey for a wonderful surprise! This has been a wonderful birthday so far and my actual day of birth is yet to come. Tomorrow I turn 40. Oh my goodness! I know it's just a number, but it seems weird when you feel like you are 30. I think when I grow up I want to be a Hot Air Balloon Pilot. :)

5 comments:

Jane said...

I think the AM flight would be better than evening...except getting UP to got TO the balloon.

BEAUTIFUL! Lucky lady you are.

Welcome to the 40 club...it isn't bad at all..been here for 1.5 years.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Katie said...

OH that looks like fun !!! Gorgeous pictures !

Jennifer said...

WOW What a gorgeous couple!!! GIrl you are lucky to have that man. What a blessing. The pictures are breathtaking. I am so envious. Yes I know it is a sin to be jealous and I will go to the altar tomorrow LOL. I am so happy you got to go and I am sure the view was spectacular. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!

Jenny and Matt said...

Wow! What a great gift!
Happy birthday Lori!!

Mama Bear said...

OH MY GOODNESS Lori, how much fun is that!!!! I absolutely LOVED those pictures and oh soooo miss MPLS some of the time. Great present!!!
Rhonda
http://fourchildrenrus.blogspot.com/

Praise the Father, Praise the Son!

 Happy Easter 2023! Hope you and your families have been having a good Sunday.  Holidays for me have always been anxiety filled. From having...