Friday, August 31, 2007

I wonder!



In a hospital bed 39 years ago today, I wonder if my biological mother was wondering what she was doing giving birth to a baby girl?! She was single and had already given birth to a boy who was then two years old. I wonder if she wished she would have made different choices? I wonder if she was angry or happy? I wonder if she was scared and felt alone? I am grateful that she chose life. I am grateful that she went through the possible pain and hard times of being a single mother to a two year old and carrying another.

Four years ago I searched for my biological mother. My agency found her, but she was not interested in meeting me. She had not told my brother about me. She had kept my brother and didn't want to tell him now that it has been so long.

God gave me the opportunity to thank her for making the right choice and giving me life, which has allowed me to celebrate year after year! I wonder if she thinks of me on a day like today? I think of her often.

My prayer is that some day my children will get the opportunity to thank their biological mothers for sacrificing so much.

17 comments:

Michelle Smiles said...

Happy Birthday!

Kim said...

Happy Birthday!!

margaret said...

Happy birthday Lori!

Heidi said...

Have a wonderful birthday!!

Emily said...

Happy Birthday!! I hope you had a wonderful day! Have a piece of cake for me! If it's chocolate have two!! :) Love you!!

Emily

Krystal said...

Beautiful post. Happy Birthday, Lori!!!

Emily said...

I can't believe you didn't get a cake! If we lived closer I would make you one, but we don't :(

I have a question...Sarah and I just made a couple scrapbooks and I say we need to have page protectors but Sarah doesn't think so, what do you think?

Emily said...

I'm pretty sure my mom did get the recipe

Jenny and Matt said...

Happy birthday Lori!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome blog entry! Happy Birthday!

JuJu - said...

wow.. that was beautiful -

Happy Birthday Lori - you are an amazing person to me:)

JUlia:)

Tammy said...

Happy Birthday to you Lori! We are certainly happy that she chose life as well. The world is a much better place with you in it. Blessings to you!

bodegalee said...

Hey Lori
thanks so much for sharing and Happy Bday! My very good friend was adopted actually just about the same time you were! And her birthmom as well, has made it clear that she doesnt wish to connect...My friend seems ok with that.. not sure I would be but of course until you're in those shoes you just dont know. I appreciate your sharing your thoughts and I am truly sorry if this is painful for you, but so love your wish for your children...It's certainly one of my own..

We corresponded awhile back.. Our sons seem to have some similar characteristics :) We're starting homeschooling on Tues (big gulp :) ) and will see how things play out! Take good care!

Anonymous said...

Lori,

I am contacting everyone on the Laced With Grace blogroll to say....

As a contributor to the Laced With Grace Devotional Site, I want thank you for your faithful readership. September is our one-year anniversary. We are please to announce we have a permanent new address. www.lacedwithgrace.com. Please change your link to include this new address.

Thank you. Lynn

Maxine said...

I don't know if my children will have the chance to personally thank their bio moms, but I hope they will always be thankful to them. I think they will.

Anonymous said...

HOPE YOU HAD A HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LOR. I THOUGHT OF YOU ON THE WAY TO CRAIG'S GRANDPA'S FUNERAL..
I AM SORRY I DIDN'T GET YOU A WISH ANY SOONER, BUT I HAVEN'T BEEN AT WORK SINCE THURSDAY AND I FORGOT THURSDAY... HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LOR!
SHELLY B.

Jane said...

I wanted to let you know that I think your birth mom thinks of you, more often than you can imagine. One never knows what goes through a mother's mind when she gives a child up, until you have walked in those shoes. Sorry this is late, but may you have a great year!

Praise the Father, Praise the Son!

 Happy Easter 2023! Hope you and your families have been having a good Sunday.  Holidays for me have always been anxiety filled. From having...