Monday, July 24, 2006

DNA - Positive!

Today we received important information in the mail. It was the lab results from the DNA test that needed to be taken between Bio Mom and Sonja. Both Bio Mom and Sonja went to the US Embassy in Guatemala recently to have their mouths swabbed and picture taken together. The information then was sent to a lab in North Carolina, where Joel and I sent payment and scheduled the DNA to be tested. The results were positive. Sonja is in fact Bio Mom's baby and therefore the adoption can continue. (If there wasn't a match the adoption would have been canceled and we would have had to start all over!) It was very weird to get a picture of Bio Mom, but I am grateful that we have it. It will definitely be priceless to Sonja some day when she, just like me, has questions and wonders what her Mom looks like. I was fortunate enough to find my Bio Mom two years ago, unfortunately she didn't want to meet face to face, but was willing to send me a picture of herself. For an adopted child, any information or items that are from your birth or where life began for you is very important. It answers some questions that arise and brings some contentment to the situation. For Nico, I wasn't able to get a picture of his parents, but I was able to keep his bottle and outfit that he used in the orphanage. I also have pictures of him in a swing at the orphanage, that a couple had taken of him while they were visiting the orphanage prior to Joel and I visiting there. My adoptive parents were unable to show me anything or share information, they simply didn't have anything to show or share. I think my growing up years would have been a little easier had I had something to look at or hold onto. I hope that someday Nico and Sonja can appreciate what I have held onto for them. I certainly can understand the emotions and thoughts that will and can arise.
With today's information in the mail, we are hopeful that we are only a couple of weeks away from entering PGN. PGN is the very critical step in completing this adoption. PGN will scrutinize our paperwork and reject any errors. I, of course, am praying for flawless paperwork or blind eyes to mistakes!

3 comments:

Chris Good said...

wow this is so intense with all the stuff they have to do!

Stephanie Balvin said...

Great news, keep trusting this all to God. I can't wait to meet her! I agree that picture will be priceless as she starts to have those questions. I too wish I had at least a picture.

Anonymous said...

That is great! woo hoo! I'm trying to figure out how and where to save the stuff I've gathered that belonged to Speedy in his birth family's home. They've brought several toys and stuff for him and I just think it is precious. I'll save everything!

Praise the Father, Praise the Son!

 Happy Easter 2023! Hope you and your families have been having a good Sunday.  Holidays for me have always been anxiety filled. From having...